Friday, November 7, 2008

Great Balls of Fire!

What do your kids say? Emily and Meg have come home from school telling me that some of their friends say OMG. Since we do not use God's name in that way at our house, I've been telling them they can kindly let their friends know that it hurts their hearts to hear God's name used that way and suggest another saying.....like "Oh my stars!" It could even be a fun catch phrase among friends. Dan has gotten on to Meg recently for saying "Oh my gosh"--I can see where he's coming from--sounds a whole lot like the other. That's why we don't say "Geez!" or the like...it's just too close to actually taking the Lord's name in vain. So I'm trying to throw out other phrases of excitement -- or frustration-- to use. My goodness...my lands...good grief....good night...Jimminy (sp?) Christmas (My dad would always stretch it out and say it "gee-ma-nee!") I guess you usually pick up whatever your own family says. Got any good ones that your family uses?

2 comments:

Shelly@Sweet Journey said...

We have had that same conversation at our house. A good frustration one is "flibity jibit." I think it is from Sound of Music--you know the song "How Do you Solve a Problem Like Maria?"

Steph said...

Goodness!! Is the favorite here. Hense the nickname "Baby Goodness!"