Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We're Goin' to the Lodge!

Thank you, Katie, Kenny & Emma! : )
We had a fabulous time at the Great Wolf Lodge this weekend! Just a few miles from home in Grapevine, TX, we were so blessed to have a weekend retreat as a family. And after having our eleventh straight day of triple digit heat (gotta love northern TX in the summer), it was such a relief -and treat- to enjoy their indoor water park.



The lodge itself was really unique! It had a big "tree" and fort in the lobby, along with a huge fireplace and mini robotronics show. The rooms were so much fun. Everything went along with the wilderness theme, with rustic-looking furniture made of carved wood. The girls LOVED their beds--bunk beds enclosed in a "tent" with paintings of bears on the walls.




We enjoyed the park on Sunday afternoon when we checked in, and then again for most of the next day. It had a treehouse splash area, a wave pool, a lazy river, an activity pool with water basketball and a lilly pad bridge, as well as tons of waterslides--all in the comfort of 84 degrees and no need for sunscreen! My kinda place! : )



We are those horrible parents who make their child go on water slides--at least once--to try it out. We promised Emily that she would not have to go on it again, but that she should try it out once because she might just find that she likes it! She cried the entire way up in the line on the stairs. I can understand her fear--I remember Dad making me go into Eagle's Supermarket when I was about her age to buy a gallon of milk all by myself. I was terrified and thought he was horrible too. But it was good to face my fears (looking back in hindsight), and hopefully, one day she will feel the same way. Afterwards, she and I went to enjoy more of the wave pool while Dan and Meg rode a couple more waterslides together, and she told me, "I'm glad I did it, but I'm glad it's over!"


The girls were so exhausted by the time we left at 5pm yesterday--Meg fell asleep before we left the parking lot, and Emily, before we got out of Grapevine! They had so much fun! Emily is already asking about having a birthday party there in December. Not too sure about that...if she does, it will be just one special friend! But it would still be 84 degrees, so it sounds like a fun idea!

Here are some more pictures to enjoy:


The fort in the lobby

Dan & Meg getting drenched from the big bucket dumping on top of them!
Riding the waves in the Wave Pool

I promise I got in, got wet, and joined in on the fun after getting a few pics and putting away the camera!

Dan tricks Emily to pose in a waterfall with him.

Meg carefully crossing the lilly pad bridge--she made it all the way across!

Time to go home and go to bed!

3 comments:

Steph said...

Oh how we wish we were there with you too!!!

Love steph & ethan

EEEEMommy said...

What fun! My kids would love that! :) Great pics, and good for you putting the camera down and playing along. ;)

Shelly@Sweet Journey said...

I have heard about that place and it looks so fun! I'm like you--84 degrees and no sunscreen!