Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Pee-lows" & Blankies

Oh, the tattered lovies! I feel helpless to save them from their years of snuggling, rubbing, and scrunching since the crib. It's not that they have holes that could be easily sewn up...that's been done a hundred times over already! It's that they've been so loved and worn that their threads are now bare.

I just left my 8 year old in her bed, having cried herself to sleep, after my telling her I just don't know what to do with that pillow, and even going so far as suggesting that it may be time to give it up. Every time she moves it, zillions of tiny balled up feathers fly out from the pillowcase and land all over the place. I just found some in my hair! The little pillow was mine as a child (even brought it to college with me), and before me, I understand that it--or some part of it--was my Mema's. So, yes, it's lived a good life, but Emily is not yet ready to give it up. And I'm not sure that I'm ready for her to either. So this weekend, we'll probably make a trip to Jo-Ann's where I'll guess at what to do to salvage this cuddly. Any suggestions?

Meg's cuddly is her blankie. Both of my girls got many, many blankets--many beautifully handmade by her Mimi and Aunt Sharon, but her favorite has always been the one my college roommate, Debbie, sent to her. It has a silky tag that she rubs and rubs as she falls asleep or just as she relaxes watching TV. (This gift was before the clever invention of the taggie-blankets...brilliant!) It too has a hole, worn in the corner where the tag is. Thankfully, the tag is still in place, but the threads are bare just beneath it. She has many stuffed animals that she piles into her bed each night as well--none her favorite, but none she'll part with either. We cleaned out closets on Wednesday. Emily found several she was finished loving, but Meg didn't give up a one. In fact, she went rummaging through the "give-away" pile and pulled out a couple of Emily's cast-offs.

If their worst vices when they are 30 years old is that they can't kick their pillow/blankie-addictions, then they're doing alright, I guess! : )


We're going to the Great Wolf Lodge this weekend! Emma, the little girl I watch during the school year, and her parents gave us a night's stay there as a thank you gift. You have to have a room for the night if you want to enjoy their many, many water slides and pools. We're looking forward to it! I'll post some pictures next week of all our fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday probably about the time you were putting the girls to bed, the kids and I loaded up and drove 14 miles round trip in Southern California rush hour traffic (~1 hr) to rescue Mr. Blue Blue (Mark's blanket) from having to spend the night at our church where Mark had left him while he and I were helping out at vacation bible school. You can't put a price on comfort even with these gas prices. I hope that you have a wonderful weekend.
Debbie

Amy said...

Hey Deb!
What we won't do for the sake of a peaceful bedtime! I hope you guys are having a good summer. Any wildfires near you this year? Or have they all stayed north of y'all? Send me some pictures of you guys when you get the chance!
Love,
Amy

EEEEMommy said...

My 7 year old was so attached to a blanket my mom had knit that she had worn huge holes in it. My mom actually took it apart and reknit the whole thing, but the yarn was so worn it just wouldn't stay whole. It's a big pile of yarn that she still snuggles with on occassion. It is funny what we get attached to.

Roger, Amanda, Karys and Hannah said...

Hey Amy,

We too have our blankies that go everywhere. I'm dreading the day K's tag is no longer where she can rub it til she falls asleep. Thank you for the perspective on this...it could be a lot worse.

-Amanda